So, on Tuesday I am moving into my new house in the lovely Leamington Spa. Away from home, back to university again, and this year, as my degree counts, I’m going to have to be a proper grown-up. Oh dear.
Anyway, aside from the Campus 50 Challenge of course, I have set myself a few goals to achieve over the next academic year. I thought that if I published them here, then I’d hopefully do them, as it would make me feel guilty if I didn’t… So here goes.
- Work hard towards my degree. This is a difficult one to measure, so the way I will do this is to ensure that I go to all of my lectures and seminars (unless I have a serious reason not to go, e.g. illness), use the library effectively, do my reading and hand in all of my assignments on time. I aim to achieve a 2:1 for this year.
- Continue to work hard for the Boar. I want to build up my news team and get to know some fabulous freshers, recruit a couple of new deputies and start some training sessions. And of course, continue to publish some cracking stories.
- Get involved with one more society on campus. I am heavily involved with the Boar and RaW already, but I want to give another one a go – hopefully WTV.
- Get healthy. I want to cut all of the rubbish out of my diet and start running at least twice a week. I WILL do this.
- Work on managing my money. Create a weekly budget, and STICK TO IT – I don’t have the money to overspend anymore.
- Go to bed earlier. I will have to get up and commute to campus every morning. I can’t do that on the same amount of sleep I had last year.
- Focus on the responsibilities I already have. Make sure that I can work at my absolute best and if I can’t, make sure that I cut down the amount I’m doing. And anything new I take on, I must cut down on something else – this includes if I join a new society.
- Develop my new sections. I am in charge of new sections for Kettle Magazine and the Student Journals, so I want to develop these to the best of my ability.
- Get to know new people. I will do this mainly through my societies.
- Maintain the friendships I already have. Know who is important to me and show them that. This includes friends both at home and at university.
- Make enough time for family. It only takes a phone call home every now and then.
- Don’t moan about buses. For seven years I had to commute to school, so I know that having to commute to campus won’t really gel with me. But I must remain calm, or I will go crazy.
- Go to another new country. Hopefully I will be going to Italy with Ebony Perkins. Watch this space.
- Watch more student theatre. Or music, performance, opera, whatever. I’m only at university once and I really need to make the most of that Arts Centre.
- Continue to watch Doctor Who. This is in support of my friend Daniel Cope, who would never forgive me otherwise.
- Bake more. I have Lillian Hingley and ‘The Great British Bake Off’ as inspiration for this one.
- Do something for charity. I am looking at a skydive. Again, watch this space.
That’s everything I can think of for now, and packing awaits – I will come back to this if I can think of any more. Wish me luck for year two!